Calling All YA Mystery Lovers: Read Karen M McManus’s New Book Nothing More to Tell

Andrea Pugh, Staff Writer

As someone who enjoyed McManus’ most famous book, One of Us is Lying, when I heard she released a new mystery, I quickly ordered it the first chance I got, and it did not disappoint. Nothing More to Tell tells the story in a multiple-perspective format like all of Karen M McManus’ books. In this story, we focus on the perspective of Brynn and Tripp. Brynn, a brimming reporter, recently moved back to her hometown because of her dad’s work and attends her old Saint Ambrose high school. As soon as she arrives, she gets a job at a True Crime Tv show called Motive, where she pushes for them to reopen the case of her former teacher Mr. Larkin’s murder. On the other hand, there is Tripp, Brynn’s ex-best friend, who suddenly broke off their friendship after Mr. Larkin’s death. Who also faces the trials of home life throughout the book. 

Nothing More to Tell appeals to Karen M. McManus fans and newcomers alike. She was referencing old books at times while not overwhelming the book’s content for fanfare. As someone who has read four other books, One of Us is Lying, One of Us is Next, and Two Can Keep A Secret, it’s established that all of the events that take place are in the same universe with characters mentioning characters from other books casually but with enough context so that someone with only that book as context wouldn’t be confused. The book’s overarching mystery is what happened to Mr. Larkin, but it also has some side mysteries that are all answered by the end. For example, why did Tripp cut off his friendship with Brynn? The leading character reporter is a common trope in media, but this book utilizes it well. Showing the implications of a friend lying about an investigation and lying to her parents about the investigation she started. It also shows how her snooping led to other bad things later in the book and the aftermath. Though, like all books, it has a couple of flaws and strange character choices that may anger some.  Nothing More to Tell is a delightful read to fill one of your upcoming breaks.