Meet the Candidates: Minnesota 2022 General Election

Max O'Connor, Staff Writer

“Let each citizen remember at the moment he is offering his vote that he is executing one of the most solemn trusts in human society for which he is accountable” 

– Samuel Adams  

With the overturning of Roe v. Wade and the rampant misinformation surrounding the 2020 presidential election, the 2022 general election holds a lot at stake for the issues Minnesotans care about the most. So, if you’ll be 18 or older on November 8th, take a minute to learn about the candidates that will be on your ballot.  

The Race for State Governor:   

The Governor is the chief executive officer in Minnesota. They are responsible for implementing laws and overseeing the state executive branch. Democratic candidate Tim Walz has served as Minnesota’s 41st Governor since 2019. Republican challenger Scott Jensen is a former State Senator and Family Physician. Let’s see how their views on the same topic line up:  

Democratic Farmer Labor (DFL) Candidate          Republican Candidate  

Gov. Tim Walz                                                               Scott Jensen  

V.S.  

Committed to ensuring access to                   Unclear/fluctuating views ** 

safe and legal abortion                     

Committed to ensuring access to  

affordable healthcare and medicine 

Committed to funding Public Schools  

Committed to giving out scholarships 

so all students can get a good education                           

Committed to reducing gun violence              Committed to protecting the first        

through reforms amendment   

Committed to building a strong economy  Committed to ending inflation by  

by investing in small businesses                           lowering taxes  

** Jensen has previously stated that he will ban abortion in Minnesota without exceptions for rape or incest but has since gone back on that statement. His campaign website describes him as pro-life. His running mate, Matt Birk is outspokenly anti-abortion.  

The Race for Attorney General: 

The Attorney General is the chief legal officer of Minnesota. They represent the state during state and federal court, and administrative hearings. DFL Candidate Keith Ellison has served as Attorney General since 2018. Before becoming Attorney General, he served in Minnesota, and US house of representatives for four and 12 years respectively. Ellison led the prosecution of Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd. Republican challenger Jim Schultz is a Harvard Law School Graduate, attorney, and member of The Front Line Foundation, which provides support for police and other first responders. Schultz has also served on the Hennepin County Capital Budget task force. Let’s look at both candidates’ top priorities:  

DFL Candidate:                                               Republican Candidate: 

Keith Ellison.     Jim Schultz

Top Priorities:  

1. Affordable and accessible.                                  1. Ensure public safety 

healthcare and housing 

1. Criminal justice, drug policy,                             2.  Protect small businesses 

and gun reform  

1. Prevent fraud and scams.                                  3. Prevent fraud and scams
  2. Protect human rights.                                        4. Defend the Constitution 

The Race for Secretary of State: 

The Secretary of State is Minnesota’s chief election officer. They are responsible for certifying election returns and operating the voter registration. Given the unsubstantiated claims of voting fraud in the 2020 presidential election, election security has become a main focus in this election. Let’s look at Democratic Candidate Steve Simon and Republican challenger Kim Crockett views on this topic.  

DFL Candidate: Republican Candidate: 

Steve Simon         Kim Crockett 

ELECTION SECURITY: 

Committed to ensuring the Committed to ensuring the security  

freedom to vote above all else of the vote above all else  

–     Believes the election system     –    Committed to tightening  

is fundamentally fair and secure security around elections through  

–     Committed to strengthening policies like requiring photo ID,  

the freedom to vote reducing the early voting period, 

and requiring election judges to screen absentee ballots 

Whoever you support, the decision you make on the 9th will affect the decisions made about our state, so make a plan to vote today. For resources and information on voting in Minnesota, please visit https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/  

[Please note that while the author has tried to remain as impartial as possible in the presentation of this information, full lack of bias is impossible to achieve. Each candidate’s page is hyperlinked in their name. Do your own research, come to your own conclusions.]